Saturday, August 27, 2011

Water water everywhere, thankfully also plenty to drink

My timing getting back to my room last night was spot on...just after finishing the anonymous meat dinner the skies opened up and released a ridiculous amount rain. This morning the stomach and related systems were all in check, which I was pretty excited about (time to get more adventurous!). By the time I hit the street it was already about 90F and 90% humidity. Hot and moist and moist and hot. I'm getting used to it...just takes a little while. The people here don't even seem to notice.

Turns out that it's Saturday today (haven't been paying attention), so the Embassies are closed. As such, I set off for the notorious Khao San Road to secure some ultra-budget accommodation till Monday rolls around. To get there I did something that I have been told to avoid...The cheapest taxis here will haggle with you for a flat, and very attractive, rate...but this includes a stop off at a business of some sort. The driver tells you that he gets a gasoline credit from the shop owner if you'll just go in a look around for a bit. It sounded like a pain, but strangely I was a bit curious and went with it. We stopped at a tailor, and I went in, looked around, turned down a suit and an alligator skin belt, and left within 5 minutes. It was a bit weird, but I did get a really cheap air conditioned ride across town.

 The buzz of activity and sales offers on Khao San Road is ten times what I described from the area I was in last night...but I'm already getting a bit used to it. The first obvious positive to all this is that the food vendors on the streets could probably all be head chefs in Thai and Indian restaurants back home. Seriously good food! Cheap! ($1 - $2)  Walking takes some skill...both in not getting run over by things and finding quasi-nice ways to ignore the hundreds of people trying to get your attention.... It's raining again, so I have scheduled some time in my "fan room" for staring up at the ceiling and pretending it's snowing. This may transition into a nap with dreaming about snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment