Friday, August 26, 2011

Bangkok

Apparently my cell phone doesn't auto update it's clock for new time zones, because I was about 1 grain of rice shy of missing my flight to Bangkok due to thinking I had an extra hour to work with. I won't go into all the details, but it was reallllly close and pretty stressful. Bangkok is a crazy place...definitely not somewhere you want to be arriving already stressed out, so luckily for me it all worked out and I had the 11 hour plane ride to calm down.

First Impressions: Free Sauna! Everywhere! Wow this place is hot and sticky...you would have thought they built it in the middle of the jungle or something. Walking around with the pack is going to be kept to an absolute minimum, and some things will be left behind. There are a million things going on around you...market stalls, food vendors, tailors, travel agents, massage parlors all offering their services. And as far as blending in to avoid that sort of thing, I might as well be wearing a Richard Simmons hot pink leopard print liatard (actually that would probably blend in better). I walked down and got dinner from one of a long line of food vendors on the street. I wasn't yet brave enough to attempt to order from some of the more complicated (and tastier) looking stalls, so I went with some anonymous seasoned meat sticks (fingers crossed) and fried rice pattys. My friend Dylan told me to make sure it was physically being cooked right there, so that's what I decided with. I guess that advice comes from a couple of his personal "mourning after dinner" episodes...but I didn't really want to know so I didn't ask. The vegetable noodle places look the best, and when I'm feeling a bit less overwhelmed tomorrow I think I'll being going for those (using the point and nod method).  I need to find an umbrella...it rains a lot here apparently. Oddly enough, for all of the stuff being sold to me whilst walking around, no one tried to sell me an umbrella, which I would have bought. Well, I'm going to get some much needed shut eye. Goodnight from the other side of the world! Embassy hunting tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment