Thursday, August 11, 2011

Achill Island

After a 9 or so hour bus ride, we arrived in Achill Island, a very isolated and beautiful "island" on the west coast of Ireland. I suppose it is called an island for tourist reasons as you could probably walk to the mainland at low tide. The job here is the general running of a backpacker hostel as well as working in the pub. Despite the remote location, there is a steady stream of people from all over coming through the hostel as well as a regular group of locals at the pub...so it has stayed interesting. We are also working with 5 other volunteers from all over.

Climbing mountains: From the hostel here you can see the peak of Schleife More when the top is not obstructed from view by a very ominous looking cloud. It wasn't long before I decided I needed to be up there looking down, so I set off one afternoon with another American and a French guy (who is apparently in much better shape than me) for the top. We decided to go up the steep side along a craggy ridge that ran all the way to the top. Luckily, the entire mountain is covered with peat that naturally forms steps, so the footing was easier than it looked from the bottom. About two hours and several rest breaks later, (except for our french mountain goat friend) we were at the top. To greet us there was what must have been a 50 mph wind pulling bits of cloud down out of the sky along the cliffs to the ocean below. It felt as though we were in a wind tunnel. We sat down behind an unnatural pile of stones at the very top to get out of the wind, but not before adding one more stone to the peak out of respect, as is the tradition.

Homeward bound: After more than 6 months of traveling together, the day has sadly come for Krista and I to part ways. On Tuesday we went together to Dublin for her to catch her flight to Chicago. As I headed back to Achill alone, I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to go it alone for a while. Admittedly,  we weren't sure before hand what it would be like to spend almost 24 hours a day together for 6 months, but it couldn't have turned out better. Having someone to share in the experiences, the excitement, and the difficulties has been really rewarding. I will miss her very much and hope it isn't long before we can meet up down under!

The Big Leap: The travel plan was pretty well mapped out up until now...and as of yesterday I didn't really know what I was going to do next. Airfare prices are on the rise and my Irish visa is expiring in two weeks, so the time has come to put the pen to the map once again, and I think this next move is going to be a bit more of a shock than before. The plan so far is to fly into Bangkok, Thailand and travel overland through Laos and into Vietnam. After several cups of coffee and some rare quite in the early morning hours here,  I have laid out the bare bones of a three or four week trek: From Bangkok to the islands of southern Thailand...then north to Chang Mai, crossing the border into Laos to follow the Mekong river south, east into Vietnam, and south along the coast to Saigon where my friend Dylan is living. I am both exited and nervous and have no idea what to expect...but that's the best part!

1 comment:

  1. So your going to Bangkok huh? I always knew you'd be into that... Well, just be carefull as that part of the worl is going through some "civil strife." Thiland and Laos had a couple armed battles a few months ago regarding a border dispute. Halley and I can't wait to see Krista again, you as well. Be safe and enjoy the world, for it is your oyster... And you a giant sucker. (You thought I meant shucker, j/k). Anyways man be safe and take it easy. -Vance

    ReplyDelete