Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mai Sai to Chiang Khong

Left the border town of Mai Sai nicely rested, and had a easy day of riding. Passed the golden triangle, which is a spot on the river where the borders of Thailand, Burma, and Laos form a three way corner. The opium trade used to flourish here, making it a very famous spot...but as they no longer grow or process opium, it is now just a terrible tourist trap based on a geographic location. I was quasi interested, but as I rolled up to the sight of thousands of Chinese tourists mulling around several massive tour buses with cameras on tripods clicking away...well I just kept on rolling. It was an uneventful day until my ever growing sense of food adventure confidence caused Dylan's words (if it's from a street vendor, make sure you see it cooked in front of you) to escape  me momentarily...well it turns out these words of advice apply to salads as well. A salad seems harmless enough, but alas, it was not cooked in front of me. I got back on the bike, very satisfied with having tried the famous spicy Thai salad that I had been hearing so much about; the warning signs started almost immediately. As I approached Chiang Khong, I was sure of what I was in for. The feeling of being punched in the stomach lasted for about a day and a half and I slept it off in the guesthouse...all the while saving on food costs! I got to closely observe the local lizard in a way I would not have otherwise...they look like geckos, chirp like birds, and spend most of there time waiting upside down on the ceiling for something tasty to land nearby. They are everywhere, but people like them around for their mosquito hunting skills, as did I. After a 48 hour white rice diet, I am basically back in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment