Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Santorini, Greece

Santorini...where to begin. A three hour ferry from Crete and we arrived. I must say, it is worth all the hype...it is a pretty cool place. The island is small, and in the shape of a donut that a cop took a bite out of. It formed when an ancient volcano exploded and then sank leaving the donut and a 1,000 foot deep crater in the middle (full of seawater), with a small volcano still in the very center. Anyhow, through some now finely tuned haggling we got a hotel room for dirt cheap, saw the sun rise, and then got some much needed sleep. The next day we rented a four wheeler and started cruisin' all over the place...which was pretty easy as you can get from one end to the other in about 30 minutes. The island is completely surrounded with winding roads and perilous cliffs...very exciting for me, but Krista has some white hair now.  We have tried all sorts of tasty stuff and eaten more gyros in a week then one should probably eat in a lifetime.

Some stories worth mentioning:

 Tonight we drove out to one tip of the island to see the lighthouse. On the way back we saw an open cafe with a nice view of the caldera that looked like a genuine family run place, so we decided to stop in. A sign out front said, "Low prices, complete meal with local caught and fried fish...enough for 2, only $6." I thought that was an unbelievably good deal, so I told the waitress that we would have that (I have been craving fried fish). What soon arrived was a huge platter of what appeared to be fried bait. Staring me in the face, literally, was a pile of little fishes that looked strikingly similar to the sardines that we use for bait, deep fried whole. I quickly realized that I would have to find a way to eat this so as not to look like a total jerk. This was all too much for Krista, who is only slowly overcoming a general dislike for all seafood. She helped me to de-bone them as I ate to get it over with more quickly and to make it look like she had eaten some also. Appearance aside, they were actually pretty tasty. We stopped again on the way home and got her some dinner...

Unrelated but hilarious:
 It is spring break apparently and so small groups of adventurous spring breakers have been turning up here, looking a bit displaced as it is low season and there is not much of that sort of fun to be had yet. As we were settling in tonight, a knock is heard at the door...Krista answers..."Um, Hi...we are three Americans who are just randomly knocking on doors to try and meet some people to try and find something to do, but, um, you look a little older...do you have any recommendations for something to do in the area"? Krista (who has recently been on a bit of an "I'm getting old and woe is me" kick) in response: "How old do you think I am!?" 19 year old spring breakers: "Um, your 20's I guess"... Jared in the background "he he he he"
Good times...

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad you guys are having fun... We hope to be in touch with ya'll over the phone, we miss ya'll. I'm taking on too many mental adventures here at the house which invariably cause me to not start anything. Have fun guys.
    -Vance

    ReplyDelete