Thursday, March 24, 2011

Headed to Santorini

We found cheap ferry tickets to Santorini, Greece, and so somewhat spontaneously (apparently the ferry schedules change randomly) we are on the late-night ferry headed to what is supposed to be one of the more unique and beautiful islands. Again, we are a few weeks ahead of the season. In Greece this does not just mean that things are slow...it means that almost everything is closed and transportation is sparse. But, it also means things are cheaper and the crowds are smaller; so there are advantages as well. Everywhere we go we are being jokingly told that we are the first tourists of the season.

We are a bit ready to get to our next HelpX...it is nice being on our own, but the money goes very quickly when you are traveling traditionally. We feel like we are "bare bones-ing" it,  but it seems like there are holes in my pockets. Food, entrance fees, buses, bottled water (apparently water fountains don't exist in europe...actually I am sitting next to one as I write this, but it's the only one I've seen)...it all adds up really quickly.

On Santorini we plan to get a mo-ped and cruise around on that...should be interesting so long as the ridiculous winds the Greek islands have been getting settle a little (reminding me of your neck of the woods, Dad)

Till next time...

1 comment:

  1. As you have discovered, 'time' is a cultural concept. I don't know why the Greeks even print time table schedules as transportation gets there when it gets there. When I was there in '98, I was told that the Changing of the Guard in Athens was always on schedule. NOT. oh well, when in Greece...
    I absolutely loved Greece and hope to take Bruce there some time.
    Stateside Bobbi

    ReplyDelete