Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cambodia

I don't think I can say that I "saw" Cambodia...I really just passed through. I was ready to be in one place for a while and keen to make it to Vietnam. Also, it wasn't originally on the plan, so I didn't  have any idea where I wanted to go or what I wanted to see. But, I am really glad that I did pass through because it is an interesting and unique place...with a very rich history. I arrived in Siem Reap from Laos and did the Angkor Wat temple complex and Tong Sap Lake. Siem Reap is surrounded by hundreds of temples built around 1100. They are magnificent accomplishments, especially for the time period, and are definitely landing a spot in my top cultural attractions of the trip...they are an awesome sight. Tong Sap Lake is mostly the result of a weird phenomenon caused by the rainy season making a portion of the Mekong river backfill the valley creating an enormous lake (12,00 km2) for part of the year. I took a boat trip to see one of the famous "floating villages" , which turned out to be another great experience. Although popular with tourists, it appealed to me because tourism was not the sole reason for it's existence...you could tell it was life as usual as we slowly made our way up main "street". The village stands pretty far out out in the lake, above the water level, and is full of people getting on with everyday life...but in an unusual way. It made me wonder if Venice might have looked like this at it's beginning. Probably the most notable departure from normal village life were the pig pens built outside the houses on stilts above the water...I guess they can tire of even the freshest fish after a while!

Leaving on the bus for Phnom Phenh, I was on the last leg of my brief shared journey with my new Australian friends...another couple of great people I have gotten to know along the way. I said goodbye to them at the station, got a room, but quickly decided it was time I made it to Vietnam. The following morning I set off for Ho Chi Minh city. It was a beautiful bus ride, taking about 6 hours. Sitting on the bus, I had the sudden realization that my adventure was coming to a close (well, this one anyway). It's funny because this was the expected finish line from the start, but as I got further and further along I think I forgot that it was all to be done in a year, and that there was an end to it. I now have some decisions to make about what to do next, and all I know is whichever I choose has to include making some money, which has a terrible habit of running out!

No comments:

Post a Comment